Thursday, November 22, 2012

We Really Excel At This

The basically doing nothing, that is. I didn't even put on shoes today. Pretty sure that on the first Thanksgiving, the Pilgrims had Squanto over to eat party mix and half-watch all the Lord of the Rings movies.

Did you have a nice day? I rolled out of bed about nine. Betty and Andy were on their way. I had no food prepared, but my eleven year-old wanted to be put to work. I lined up all the supplies for her, and she made two pumpkin pies, then an apple pie, then cut up the potatoes for eventual mashing. Then she made the grape salad. I was like, who says holiday cooking is stressful? She was so happy to be in charge of something, and she's gotten pretty capable.

And of course we had this can of cranberry jelly. Our turkey was organically raised on grass and taught to read by nuns, but we also gotta have the Ocean Spray. Hank thought it was a candle. I admit, I love that stuff.

While we were cooking, Hank was out shooting at things with his homemade bow and arrows, happy as the grass is green. He had practically come to my bedside in the morning, brandishing a long stick that needed to be cut into arrows. Then he was after me to find a sharp knife for his daddy to whittle them with. He would be a very good producer or project manager. He figures out who can do what for him and then he makes it happen.

It was sunny and cool up here today, and we read, chatted, and drank a bottle of champagne while we waited for the bird to finish. All the food was good, even if I forgot to put any turkey neck in the gravy. When I pushed my chair back from the table, I was seized by some kind of stupor, lay down, took a two-hour nap, and then roused myself with thoughts of pie.

While I slept, Matt got in the hot tub with the kids and then watched The Rescuers with them. Then we all played Settlers of Catan, and now everyone has gone to bed. Matt is stretched out asleep with his head in my lap, and Aragorn is trying to hold Helm's Deep. I'm blogging on my phone, and I would sit here forever except that I might have to go to the bathroom in a minute. Now you know literally everything.

I hope you're having a good time, wherever you are. You're not out shopping, are you? If so, tell us what you got. xoxo

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh, dear. We were in Palm Springs this Thanksgiving, so we didn't get to have any of the canned, ridged cranberry jelly which is my very favorite. I am so glad that you posted about it so that I could pay homage to it.

Happy thanksgiving to you and yours. I am thankful you write here. So very thankful.

Beth said...

Wow, blogging on your phone is high tech. But I'm commenting on my phone, so I guess we're all 21st c. and all. Happy Thanksgiving! I ate too much stuffing.

Anonymous said...

For some reason, I've been mostly untouched by Thanksgiving-related mopiness, but reading your account of the day cut through all my defenses... Now I just want to be eating pie and hanging out with my family... Stupid Korea...

Star said...

Lovely post, it's so wonderful to glimpse the inner workings of your happy functional family in which you raise your kids to be happy functional human beings. It really gives me hope for the future. P.S., I am amazed at the pies...how does she keep the bottoms from getting soggy?!

Amy said...

Yes abruptdeparture, me too! In fact, this post forced me to go make fudge brownies with hazelnuts, so THANKS A LOT, BECK.

Happy Thanksgiving to all y'all anyway! I am way impressed that L was able to do all that. I need to up my game with Ava.

Anonymous said...

Amy, I managed to redirect my Thanksgiving cravings away from baked goods and towards Korean food: barbecued, marinated pork tripe. It sounds gross, but it's actually totally delicious.

But yeah, brownies with hazelnuts sound good too.

delaine said...

What a good day! Sounds like a bunch of happy campers doing what they enjoy the most. I am impressed at Laura's cooking skills. That girl can do anything. I love the image of Hank out shooting his bow and arrows. Did you find a knife? We had a visit from Dave, Katie, and Gabe before dinner. The afternoon was quiet . I stumbled upon "Cheaper By the Dozen" then "Godfather" on tv. Two ends of the spectrum? We ended it with a FaceTime chat with Amy, Gracie, and Jason. All in all a good day. Plenty of good food, spent with people you love, in a lovely day when you feel good. Thankful indeed!

Michele said...

I was relagated to making all manner of Thanksgiving offerings by myself this year since it was just JR and I. it wouldn't be turkey day without the jellied cranberry sauce

Cassi said...

I am happy to be enjoying Thanksgiving dinner at a friends today, Friday. I made a butterscotch meringue pie, and my newly-minted 12 year old daughter decided to make rolled cookies. She ran out of steam in the decorating part, though, and needed help. Maybe that will deter her from wanting them at Xmas? :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Jack has a home made bow and arrow. I call him Katniss. We had a stress less dinner ourselves, but cranberry sauce was homemade and not from a can. That stuff is weird?

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Jack has a home made bow and arrow. I call him Katniss. We had a stress less dinner ourselves, but cranberry sauce was homemade and not from a can. That stuff is weird?

Anonymous said...

Oops, I thought it was a candle too!