Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Interstate Cornbread Trafficking


Greetings from Chattanooga! Matt's mom Betty and our kids all went to bed before 8pm. So this crew up here is what I'm working with. Percy the dog is her normal self. There is a cat in this house, and after a few bouts of hysterical barking when we arrived, now when she sees the cat, Percy just looks at us like, "So you guys know this thing is in here with us? And you're okay with this? SMH."

We got out of Atlanta without major delays, but I bet we were among the last people to do so. We left home at 1:30, and as we drove up I-75, I felt like a door was swinging shut behind us. Matt went to the office for a bit this morning while I got us packed up and made cornbread. I'm doing the dressing tomorrow and I thought that was a good make-ahead. I'm also making a sweet potato and cauliflower au gratin dish I've made the last couple of years. Betty has a fried turkey and a honeybaked ham, and another family is bringing desserts. Hank has called dibs on the drumsticks, and I'm fine with that because I only have eyes for ham.

So we got up here in the afternoon and puttered around. We had a chili supper in the TV room. Matt burned his hands on a pan of party mix. Man down! He has a pretty good blister but I think he'll be okay. I helped him put a square of gauze over it, but he said that actually made it hurt more and he wants to leave it uncovered.

I read the December Living magazine with great attention and enjoyment. I don't routinely look at that mag but this is a good issue. Several things I want to cook and make. I don't know of many other magazines that still try to teach. Most of the other mags are more like Country Living, which I enjoy but which is really just trying to get you to feel okay about yourself and your efforts, you know? Put a bird on it! But MS Living and maybe Southern Living are the only ones I can think of that are like, "You are ignorant about maple trees, let us help," or such.

It is cold on Signal Mountain, below freezing, and as we drove up the road, the kids were excited to see long icicles hanging off the bluffs and boulders. I could stay gone for a month, I packed so much. I mean, I only packed the big Vera tote that I bring everywhere, but somehow I am prepared for any eventuality. I have snow boots, I have tennis clothes, I have an eyelash curler, I have apple cider and fresh sage.

What are y'all doing? Sheltering in place? You cooking? Render over the deets. xo

11 comments:

Amy said...

That sounds perfect, except for the burned hand! Now, tell us: will the ham taco be reappearing this season? You remember: the ham as taco she'll w deviled egg filling? Nothing says, "Thank you for our manifold blessings" like pork!

Happy Thanksgiving! Wish we could be there!

Amy said...

And also: how in the world did you talk the kids into going to bed so early??

AlGalMom said...

We're headed to the annual church Thanksgiving potluck, as we have each year of our Southern Sojourn. I'm bringing "Cranberry Pudding"--a delicious excuse to eat butter--, "Tatties & Neeps"--our Yankee contribution every year, since for some reason they don't consider mashed potatoes essential for the Thanksgiving table down here--and chocolate-covered pomegranate arils, a hardly-any-work "Wow! What IS this!" garnering confection. Looking forward to a good meal with folks we are fond of, although it will be bittersweet this year remembering friends who have relocated to San Diego.

delaine said...

I am glad y'all are safely ensconced in Betty's house. The north winds doth blow, and we shall have snow. Or maybe not this time. But it is cold! I am making a banana pudding cake, which sounds pretty sinful. And there will be cherry cheesecakes. My love to all! I am so very thankful for all of you. Even Percy.

Elizabeth said...

An exhausting day that I can't really write about as it involves a home improvement attempt by The Parentals that went awry. I now have a huge amount of black garbage-bagged foam sheets on my front porch.

Allison said...

So happy in the desert. Our Canadian friends have arrived safely from the Great White. No one is cooking dinner tomorrow, we're all going out for Indian food after a bike ride. Have a great day in the mountains.

Becky said...

Allison, the idea of a bike ride and then Indian food sounds so wonderful to me. Enjoy!

Sheila said...

28 people today...we are a Modern Family group....ex husbands, new fiancées, all the kids...I am hoping for fun and no drama. We started a pool for the time my uncle tears up/cries as he toasts the group.
I have a 22 lb turkey and an 8 lb turkey breast in the oven...I am only responsible for the turkey and crab dip...although I did the sausage/celery/onion cooking so my sister could sleep.

I LOVE your cauliflower and broccoli mash so could I get the sweet potato and cauliflower au gratin recipe?

Have a marvelous day!

Anonymous said...

I've lost control of the holiday planning, a little (or a lot), so besides candle-lighting tonight, I will just wait to see what others come up with. It's like an empty-nest preview, so it's interesting. Like, it's 10 & I'm the only one awake so ok xo. Happy Thanksgiving!

KrisT said...

Happy Thanksgiving! The expression on that dog's face is priceless. I can't believe he isn't writing his own blog somewhere. Maybe on Tumblr.

Becky said...

LOL, definitely, my dog is probably huge on tumblr.