Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saturday Check In

Don't just stand there, bust a move.
Hey. It's Saturday night! I'm blogging every day!

This morning Hank had one of his many graduations in karate. This is our third one since he started in November. I decided it was time for Matt to get a turn taking him to the belt ceremony. They set off for that about 9:30 and I went back to bed for two hours. I was just toting along a sleep deficit all week long. I've gotta do better with that, because when I'm putting all the pieces together--eating well, exercise, enough sleep--I am feeling bulletproof. Like, better bring kryptonite. But when one of those pillars gets shaky, I notice a slight but definite degradation in the state of affairs around here. Okay, so I slept in.

Then in the afternoon, I took Hank to a birthday party in a park in the old town part of Norcross. Living in a homogeneous suburb as we do, I forgot that within easy distance are these places that are still like small-town Georgia. Like with a real little downtown clustered around the rail depot, red brick main street, and beautiful old houses. You just don't see that in the Atlanta burbs. It was refreshing. I definitely want to go back, even though it was twelve miles from my house. It was a great playground too.

Hank had a great time. But he always has a great time. There was some kind of dancing game, which was awesome, and a piƱata (awesomer), and a cake that looked like a boombox. The speakers were waffles. The knobs were oreos. We all admired it.

Hank
Those Boden shorts are on their third year.
Then we came home, Hank falling asleep on the way. When he does that, I just roll down all the windows in the car and leave him in the garage.

The weather could not have been more gorgeous all day. Just perfect.

Then in the early evening, Matt and I played tennis with the Hamiltons while Laura rode herd on the kids at the playground. They beat us terribly, but when we swapped wives (swingers' tennis!), it was much more competitive. Then we had pizza at our house and talked about the game biz. Then I gave Kelly one of my Tropicana roses in a Red Stripe beer bottle, which makes an excellent bud vase. Then they left, Matt went downstairs to work, and I came in to write to you.

My Tropicana roses are bananas. I don't know what's gotten into that bush. It is just busting out and making all the rest of creation look bad.

Now you are up to speed. Yes, I know you didn't want to know any of this on a Saturday night, but I am serious about this blogging every day thing! Super serious!

Love to you.
b

10 comments:

Aimee said...

A lovely Saturday! Ours was nice, too.

You know, we got married a stone's throw from that park. I love downtown Norcross.

Becky said...

Did you really! How neat! I loved it down there--I found my dream house, a white Victorian with a pretty front yard, right across from Thrasher Park.

It was great when a train came by and fifty kids ran up to the fence to watch.

Beth said...

"Rode herd?" This must be a Southern thing.

Pics of the Tropicana roses, please!

Just me and the dog said...

I love it when you blog every day. It never ceases (how do you spell that anyway?) to amaze me how interesting it can be to peak in on someone's daily life in the 'burbs. Someone I don't even know(though I'm starting to get the feeling I know you). Anyway, keep writing, and I'll keep reading. Have a nice sunday!

Becky said...

Thank you Dancer! Thanks for saying that. And I think that if you read this blog, you pretty much know me. My family concurs!

Beth, pretty sure "rode herd" is a cowboy thing!

AlGalMom said...

I've wondered sometimes what you do with your kids during couples' tennis. They just run around in the park? My husband has fond memories of being a kid and running loose at the park with his sisters while his parents played league volleyball. I would love something like that, but I'm not sure I'd be able to let my mommy radar down enough to have my head in the game. We take our kids to the dog's obedience classes, and they run around in the parking lot, which is similar, I suppose, but I don't have to be 100% focused on the dog--I can do a quick sweep and count heads.

AlGalMom said...

Oh, and I second the request for pictures of the roses!

Becky said...

Yeah, we just let them run around between the playground and the courts, though it's our neighborhood playground so there's really nobody there, or nobody we don't know. Now that they're the ages they are, it's all good.

I put pics of the roses on the Suburban Matron fb page. Might post 'em with my Sunday post. The nature of my Sunday post is still To Be Determined, LOL.

Greiner said...

Love the shorts, bought both of my boys a pair this season!

Greiner said...

Love the shorts, bought both of my boys a pair this season!