Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The 30 Day Shred, Day One. Again.

Remember the hazy days of late 2009? Those were innocent times. President Obama's approval rating was above fifty percent and I began doing the 30 Day Shred workout dvd. Several of you started doing it too. Sometimes I shredded with Matt, sometimes with Pretty Neighbor in her basement.

If you weren't around then, there was much self-congratulation, ostentatious sweating, and asking people if they wanted to feel my glutes.

I hit it hard from October through December, then somewhat spottily after a looong Christmas break, then not at all since my mastectomy at the end of March. I would say that since recovering from surgery, then through having chemotherapy, I have been active, but I haven't been doing a regular workout.

I was also counting calories through that time, and I've kept off the weight I lost, but I'm definitely not as strong and fit as I was. Pretty Neighbor has never stopped shredding. Girlfriend is, yes, shredded.

Then yesterday Matt announced that he is the new Exercise Captain for both of us. I said, "Okay, I wanna start the shred again." I really do think it is a good workout: it's quick, it's tough no matter what your fitness level, and I know it gets results. So we moved the coffee table out of the way in the sun room and the whole family shredded. We did the level one workout. Hank slacked off somewhat but the rest of us gave it all we had.

Twenty four minutes after we began, it was over. I lay on the floor and said, "It wasn't that bad." Then I crawled to the couch and stayed there while Matt put the kids to bed and I watched an episode of "Sarah's House." That's my cool-down.

The funny thing is, I think I'm in better shape now than when I first started the workout back in October. It could be because I'm twenty pounds lighter, or it could be because I remember the moves and the whole thing just doesn't feel as hard. The biggest losses were cardio stamina and upper arm strength. The arm strength comes and goes really fast, in my experience.

So we're back on the Shred Wagon, friends. Anyone want to join in? I had also forgotten the feeling of righteousness I get after I've worked out. Self-satisfaction is my drug of choice.

19 comments:

Keely said...

Ooooh, good for you! I wish I could say I was inspired to do the same, but I really hate that woman.

However, you have inspired me to step up my "thinking about starting a swimming/yoga/running routine" to a full-fledged "PLANNING a swimming/yoga/running routine". Thanks :)

Ginger said...

I keep meaning to break out that stupid DVD (which I did, once, about 2 months post c-section. Yeah, that was dumb). I keep making excuses.
Maybe I'll join you.
Oh, I'm very very afraid...

kathy said...

O.K., you guilted me into it. I too have fallen off the Shred wagon. I was going strong for about 2 months but gave into the busyness of end of school, etc. Now that I'm retired there are no excuses!

Jenni said...

OMFG kill me now, but I think I'm with you.

Expect lots of whining and complaining.

Have I mentioned my back hurts?

Michele said...

Uh yeah, I will probably join you though it's going to kill me because that woman really bugs me.

Amy said...

Anyone need to buy a Shred DVD, cheap? Totally incompatible with ACL rehab, but I'll vouch 100% for its down-n-dirty, best-bang-for-your-clock-buck rating.

Michele R said...

You know the middle section looks bad when the kids are asking when I am going to do the shred again. I have moaned that it is too hot this whole summer to do anything outside so please explain why I couldn't manage to put the dvd in.....
She drives me bonkers too, but Becky you once told me you can mute her so maybe I will!

Becky said...

Whoo boy, we did workout number two this evening, despite some, ah, discomfort resulting from the first workout. Or, as Matt said, "I'm sore in really weird places." For me that would be the byoo-tocks.

Mrsbear said...

My Shred DVD is gathering dust atop my DVD player. Jillian's flared nostrils always irked me, but who knows, after the kids are in school next week I might explore an exercise plan...or the couch, me and the couch are not as close as we should be...

Way to Shred though!

Amy said...

Dude, are y'all still members at Lifetime? That place is so great--you should go!!

Good on ya for shredding!! I think, with the events of the past several months, you get a pass for not exercising. ;)

Beth said...

Ah, curses! I think I might be in. I shredded like, 3 times and then my life got in the way. I might have to wait to start until my kids go back to school, though. Too much sugar and iced coffees to eat before then.

Veronica said...

Love the Shred; I couldn't do it along with you last time because I was pregnant, but I'm with you this time! It has totally helped me start dealing with my post-baby poochaliciousness. I am not a huge fan of Jillian's TV persona but I really like her videos. (I throw in some "No More Trouble Zones" and "Banish Fat Boost Metabolism" here and there now, because I started getting tired of doing the Shred over and over.) So anyway I'm in with you this time, but I'm starting off with a two-week break while I go to Ireland and eat a bunch of fish and chips. :)

Elizabeth said...

I think it's a sign. The Shred video has been sitting on a stack of papers on my desk for at least six months, and I've NEVER DONE IT. I'm going to do it today. Hold me to it.

Anonymous said...

You are my hero. I think I'll look into the Shred, you are an official spokesperson/ model right?, in a few weeks after I've recovered from this baby thing. Hope you find some great wigs to accompany Codi and looking forward to catching up on your blog!

Casey said...

No thanks on the joining in part but my kids have actually been shredding as of late. Jamie figured out that they like it so we put it on every couple of days and watch them do jumping jacks and pushups.

But YAY you on getting back on the wagon! I've been back to the gym pretty much every day since we got home from NYC but now the kids are sick so we can't go. Boo!

Megan said...

How much you want for it, Amy? I was sold when Becky mentioned that her husband does it. I've recently jumped back on the workout wagon (ouch and ouch), but my husband finds my current workouts humorous and my running inane. I'd love something he may try! :)

Mental Momma said...

I might try this. A little to much summer woo hoo and my jeans are a little snug.

Lawyer Mom said...

Oh you make me feel so guilty. I thought I was the queen mom when I took the time to shred my own cheese.

(P.S., Picturing Hank in the program made me smile.)

gretchen said...

OH man. Could I go back to it? Maybe? I could...We'll see. You seem to have the ability to talk me into things (karaoke). I have to do something soon, I caught a glimpse of my triceps the other day, and it was not a pretty thing. Arrgggh. I'm proud of you.