Friday, February 17, 2012

Exhalation

Friends! Everything went great with my sister Amy last night. I put a quick update post on her blog before I went to bed. Her surgery didn't take as long as we thought, and the word is that her sentinel lymph node is clear.

Hallelujah!

That was a big question, as a bad node almost certainly would have meant follow-up with chemotherapy. I'm hoping nobody will want to do that now. The surgeon also felt confident that he got the entire mass, though the pathologist will confirm the margins over the next couple of days.

This is good, good, good. I talked to her last night. She was pretty groggy and going to spend the night in the hospital. So the surgeon did his job and I did my job, which was to hang around on social media and also read text messages and drink two glasses of wine. We all had important things to do.

I went to bed feeling much lighter.

Then, we slept in this morning. The kids are on holiday as of today and don't go back until Wednesday. I got to play a doubles match this morning with Pretty Neighbor and some buds, and it was 60 degrees and gorgeous. We were going to go to the mountains, as I'd said, but between it being just the four of us, and the fact that it's going to rain there Saturday and Sunday, I think we'll hang around here. It will be nice to have an unprogrammed weekend, actually. I need to reread our book club book (Serena), and Matt and I have some heavy-duty tax/financial/budget planning to do. I also hope to get some good walks in. I know, I'm pretty boring today.

And that is good.

Love,
Me

15 comments:

Keely said...

Boring is good. Phew.

Hootie said...

Thanks for the update. This makes me happy.

delaine said...

Exhalation indeed! Last night when we got the word, it felt like we could finally exhale in relief. Good news is so wonderful to hear. I thank God for the good report from the nodes and that the surgeon felt he had gotten the whole thing. Blessings piled upon blessings!

Lisa Lilienthal said...

That is such great, great news! Big sigh!!

Common Household Mom said...

Exhaling. I have been praying for your sister & your family. And it is good to walk before starting major tax and budget planning.

Jen said...

Okay, I clearly have been way out of the loop. This whole recovery crud is for the birds and has me so behind. Checked out Amy's blog (again) and glad to read that she is doing well...and I am so sorry that both of you had to deal with this...ugh, but so glad to hear the good news about that node!

Beth said...

Yay, Amy! We always knew she was an overachiever.

And speaking of overachievers, REREAD the book club book?!?

Elizabeth said...

Yes, boring is good. I am thrilled to hear this and will pray and hope for continued healing and ease for your dear sister.

gretchen said...

I agree with Keely and Elizabeth - you are absolutely due for a boring day. Enjoy the nothingness.

Anonymous said...

sooo glad to hear! We've got 3 cases of thyroid cancer we are dealing with right now, and I hope I am not the 4th. I am having my nodule biopsied next month. WTF cancer???? I am so pissed off.

Josephine said...

I had been thinking of Amy over the weekend and I'm very glad to hear things are looking up! Thanks for the update.

Rebekah said...

I crave ordinary too! We ended up going to TN and had a good visit. Perhaps our paths will cross again sometime this spring/summer!

Rebekah said...

I crave ordinary too! We ended up going to TN and had a good visit. Perhaps our paths will cross again sometime this spring/summer!

Star said...

Thank the Cosmos for such great results.

Jessica Gottlieb said...

A most fabulous update.

You're very good at your wine sipping and social media'ing job... you deserve a raise. Buy some snooty cheese to go with it next time.