Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hello Snow! And a Bloggy Project.

Happy March 1 to everyone. It was a corker! In the middle of the morning, the rain here in the ATL turned to this.

That's down in Centennial Park, courtesy of the NYT. The flakes were HUGE and fluffy, like biscuits. In like a lion, indeed. When Hank went down for a nap this afternoon, I took to my bed to watch it snow and finish a book that I didn't want to read in the dark. Being in bed in the middle of afternoon, good book, snow falling, sleeping toddler. . .Oh Baby that's what I like. If anyone wants to read something short and scary (and good), lemme know and I'll give you a rec. (It doesn't involve vampires or zombies.) None of the snow stuck--it just wasn't cold enough, but it was lovely to watch it fall all day.

Speaking of lovely, if you're not reading A Day That Is Dessert (it's over there in my blogroll), you should check it out. Lecia's blog is always filled with gorgeous ideas and pictures, and she has asked me to ask you to help her out. Lecia is seeking Flat Stanley stories and photos to publish on her blog. I had not heard of the Flat Stanley books by Jeff Brown, but apparently this is a big thing for Kindergarten and first-grade classes to do. As Lecia explains,

In the book, Stanley Lambchop has all sorts of adventures after he is flattened by a bulletin board. Your child will use their imagination to help create new adventures. Flat Stanley will go visit a family member or dear friend of your child’s choosing for the rest of the month. The job of the host family is to incorporate Stanley into their lives, create new adventures and correspond with the class.

If you've done the Flat Stanley thing with your kids, go share your pics. Or if your child's class is about to do it, go see what others have done. The Flat Stanleys that Lecia and friends made are so cute that they may inspire me to make one of my rare forays into crafting. Yikes!

16 comments:

Keely said...

I had *never* heard of this Flat Stanley thing before I started blogging. Which leads me to believe it's just you crazy 'mericans.

Lovely snow! Ours was...not so lovely.

Michele R said...

I just checked with my boys and they never got into Flat Stanley. The snow didn't stick? It is still all over the ground by that Goodwill. I had to do two loads of wash today from the boys playing in it for hours. I preferred to stay inside. It was pretty coming down.

Becky said...

Well, it didn't stick at our house. Maybe too much rain up here. And Michele, you changed your name! I almost didn't recognize you, but for the mention of our Goodwill!

Casey said...

I'm so jealous of the snow. In our family, a Flat Stanley is an overbaked cookie.

Leciawp said...

Thank you Becky!! For soliciting the pictures AND for such a nice mention. And WOW - in like a lion is right! Is that your first snow of the winter??

melondonkey said...

i took some flat stanley pics in moscow for a friend. weird, i thought it was just a one-school thing.

Michele R said...

Ooops forgot to mention I updated my name. Snow still everywhere. We're up at 6:20 a.m. and found out school is closed. Our middle schooler gets up at 7:45. We told him Gwinnett County was closed except for middle school. He believed it for a little bit. Today I want to play in it but had to go to work. It will be gone when I get home!

Becky said...

Hey Melon! Wow, Flat Stanley in Moscow. If you still have a pic, send it to Lecia 'cause she would love it.

Michele R, I can't believe y'all's schools are closed! It is sunny and beautiful where I am. Cold though.

And Lecia, this wasn't our very first snowfall, but it was the first one that was so dramatic and pretty, you know? I love those big flakes. I feel for the people in New England today, though.

Jenni said...

I love Flat Stanley! He was one of my favorites growing up. I can't wait until my boys are old enough for him.

Jenni said...

oh, and we have about five inches (sticking) here in the DC suburbs. it is so freaking cold!!

Sara said...

Oh dear, now what did I do with that Flat Stanley stuff...

I'll take a scary read recommendation! Only a dusting of snow here but it's a pleasant 12 degrees or so.

abdpbt said...

I've never heard of Flat Stanley, either, but I guess my son is only 2, so that's why. That picture of the snow is *gorgeous*. Makes me want snow. Almost.

Amy said...

I just read something on MSNBC that said there was a Flat Stanley on board that flight that landed in the Hudson. For real. Can you believe that?

David said...

I second Sara's scary read rec request. It's not snowing here in SF, but the rain won't stop. Books in bed in the afternoon... nothing better. Sometimes I get ambitious and take myself across the apartment to the sofa. (This is the lifestyle that makes that pesky dissertation thing worth it, no?)

Becky said...

Sara and David, my scary read rec is Come Closer by Sara Gran. It's about a woman who gets posessed by a demon. It's quick and a page turner.

Not great lit, like, not even Shirley Jackson, but it IS interesting if you're into a kind of horror-and-the-city theme, like how urban planning and architecture enter into the horror genre. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde anyone?

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a wonderful photo and sounds like you had a great afternoon too.