Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I'd Take That Bargain

I had a nice exchange with my sis-in-law as she was passing through town on Friday.


I died. Then I texted her, "I just died."

Speaking of technology, and of my brother and sister-in-law, AND of things that practically lay me in my grave:

Not long ago, Dave mentioned on the facebook that he and Katie had spent a whole year with a laptop keyboard on which the 'p' and 'n' keys didn't work, but they had finally taken it to the Apple store, where it was fixed quickly and for free. I realized I faintly remembered this problem from when we visited them in DC in April, that their 'p' and 'n' keys didn't work. And this is their only computer, mind you.


Fjords! I mean, I can't even, it's too much.

Then he went on to say that when he needed a 'p,' either lower- or upper-case, he would google "Obama" because that would get him "President." Then I was like ARGLE BARGLE and I blacked out.

Blacked out with delight.

We are such tool-using monkeys.

Someone PLEASE devise an alphabet primer composed of the best google search for seeking out each letter, from A-Z, keeping in mind that the search terms cannot contain the broken letter. Please do that. Where are we on that?

12 comments:

Hootie said...

For any of those, simply Google, "replacement keyboard."

Michele said...

This sounds faintly like a job for a librarian or a linguist. Know any of those?

gretchen said...

I just died too, and I can't even either.

M said...

Hilarious beyond what can be comprehended in this life. Would not have believed this story had you not provided screen shots. Your proposal is the only antidote to this tale.

Lisa Lilienthal said...

Dying. And the fact that you have preserved the memory photographically is even better. Dying!

Amy said...

That FB exchange with Dave was one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. Fjords!! Who ever? Those two are resourceful folks. :)

Love Katie's autocorrect! I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time that FaceTime has been used for that purpose. Har har har.

Kate said...

ZOMG, yes, that was hilarious! And that was the first of several Siri mishaps. Autocorrect ALWAYS errs on the side of crudeness!

melondonkey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Veronica said...

Fjords! That is too much.

Anonymous said...

all I can say is, turn off that damn autocorrect! I have a friend who is always sending me insane texts!

Aimee said...

Fjords!!! Inventive!

Please tell me you've wasted time at damnyouautocorrect.com. I make the mistake of reading it on my phone in waiting rooms and snorting with laughter. People give me "looks." I highly recommend it.

Beth said...

No, you must SEND THAT IN to DYAC. I highly recommend it, too. But this is not an autocorrect issue but a Siri issue, which will have to be its own website. Maybe "Go to Hell, Siri!"?

That is the best post of the year! :-)

For an amazingly funny Facebook exchange, check this out: http://urlybits.com/2011/07/where-to-buy-chicken-casserole-supplies/