Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Super Easy Custom-ish Valentines

Hank's Valentines


I wanted to do something the teeny tiniest bit crafty/personal for Hank's Valentine exchange and I remembered seeing this somewhere in the blogiverse a couple of years ago. I can't remember where; if anyone recognizes it I'll give credit. So stone cold easy. The picture is pretty much its own how-to.

Edited to add: Aha! It looks like this technique comes from Alissa at 24/7/365.  Cool.

I took several pictures of Hank holding his arm out in various ways.  You want your kid to hold his hand forward from his body so it will appear bigger in the frame.  Here was the picture I liked best.

Hank

Then I had prints made this afternoon, and used a sharp knife to cut little slits in the photos. That part takes some finessing.  Then I slid the suckers in and bibbity bobbity bang. Trompe l'oeil, doncha know.

We're writing little messages on the back.  I think this could be classed up by mounting the whole thing on cardstock, leaving a little border for the child's name to go on the front.  However, the round lolly does deform the picture a little and it might be hard to get it to glue flat.

Also, Mama has to watch Big Love tonight and we're all about the simplicity of this project as you see it here. I think it's cute. Maybe it will get a smile out of the kids.

Happy Valentine's Day, lovers!

Mwah!

18 comments:

Amy said...

That's such a fun idea! Hank looks so gleeful in that picture--very cute. I didn't quite get 'er done this year...maybe next. Xoxo

Jenni said...

I'm so using this idea next year. The parents at Oscar's nursery school totally BROUGHT IT for Valentine's Day (their party was Friday), so I have already been planning for next year. One kid's mom made homemade cake balls and ALSO gave each kid a decorative Chinese food-style box FILLED with candy. Homemade cookies. The like. Bastards.

Elizabeth said...

It's adorable. After much agonizing, Oliver decided on one of his dad's chocolate chip cookies (his dad's a chef) in a little brown paper bag that he wrote his name on and glued a heart. There was a bit of last minute drama, but we're calling it a day. And thank you for reminding me of Big Love -- I adore it and just dread that it's the last season --

Kat said...

I love this idea!! These look fab! This is where I saw it in 2009: http://24-7-365.blogspot.com/2009/02/lavish-me-with-praise.html

Becky said...

Wow Kat, good eye and memory! Those are the exact ones I saw. Thanks!

She did a better job of getting the kid's hand way up close. Cool effect. I edited the post to give that blog credit.

Rebekah said...

Awesome Valentines! We're part of the Hank & Laura fanclub of course. I've been lovin' your parenting/sleep over conundrum/blueberry blowing posts these days! I wish I lived on your cul-de-sac.

Amy said...

You so crafty gurrllll!! Thanks for sharing the cuteness, and the idea - it's a keeper.

Kelly said...

Those are awesome!! I am definitely tucking this post away for when C needs to make Valentines!

Beth said...

Look how crafty you are! I just saw these at Design Mom, too-- don't know where they originated.

Star said...

Great idea, thanks!

Hootie said...

Okay... even simpler Valentine's idea for next year. A snapshot of Hank with his hand behind his back and a thought bubble that says, "I'm keeping your lollipop."

Elizabeth-FlourishInProgress said...

i love this.

maybe this would also be good for the adults in my life. instead of the lollipop, i could cut a bigger slit and stick a little bottle of vodka in it.

Amy said...

I keep wanting Blogger to add a "like" feature 'cos Hootie is always so dang funny.

Veronica said...

Cute!

Did Matt remember to pack your present this year? ;)

And, LOL to the like feature! I wanted to "like" Hootie's comment too.

Becky said...

Oh V, you can bet on it!

Yes, a like button would be great! Or a way to vote that comment up.

Liz, I want you to be in charge of my Easter basket.

Megan said...

What a fun idea! You are very crafty. I will hire you for my kids' Valentines competitions/parties next year.

gretchen said...

That's just the cutest thing I've ever seen. Jude insisted on the horrible SpongeBob Valentine's. Which was excellent because then I didn't have to do anything cute and crafty.AND Jude's teacher asked us to please avoid handing out candy. So we went the pencil route. Then of course about half the parents didn't read the memo and gave out candy anyway. Err.

Zion said...

This is the cutest thing ever. Love it!