Friday, October 1, 2010

Spotlight on Normal Neighbor

What are my neighbors up to?  I have been a little out of touch because my new part-time job is driving down to the perimeter to get radiation treatments, but today I had lots of time with Normal Neighbor.  We met for lunch, just the two of us, then later, as it happened, she reconvened our intermittent program of happy hours on her back deck.  This is the first week it's been pleasant enough to be out there; we didn't do it all summer because it was too dern hot.  Yes, "dern."  D-E-R-N.  Anyway, so it was Normal Neighbor and me and both of the K(C)athies and drinks.  Now I am totally caught up with Normal Neighbor.  Here are the gleanings:

She has already been up to Burt's Pumpkin Farm, out in Dahlonega, to get the huge pumpkin for her front sidewalk.  She went on a weekday afternoon, right after the school bus came, to beat the crowds of pumpkin seekers, 'cause that place is like Epcot Center this time of year.  I had to marvel at her on-top-of-it-ness.

In addition to the best pumpkins, there is a nudist colony/resort in Dahlonega.  I had to marvel again at this bit of info, because this is not the kind of thing that Normal Neighbor is usually up on.  Hmm.  Apparently it is quite a destination for naturist folks from all over these United States.

Normal Neighbor has not read the Twilight books but is planning to.

She made us a little appetizer pizza using a pie crust.  She pressed the crust into a pie plate, put two cups of mozzarella on it, then put on sliced roma tomatoes, garlic, basil, and a drizzle of olive oil.  Normal Neighbor knows all the best lady snacks.  Why haven't I ever made that?        

She met her husband in a bar.  She noted at that meeting that his pants were hemmed with duct tape.

Normal Neighbor is the captain of our tennis team.  It is driving her crazy and killing her love of tennis, she reports.  I find it hard to believe, but everyone calls her to complain to her about the people she pairs them with for matches, and to blame their losses on their partners.  We agreed that this sniping and griping is tacky beyond words.  She said, "I still like those girls but they have become, like, almost bitches."  

So that's all I have.  Now it's like you were there too.

Happy Friday y'all!  

12 comments:

Keely said...

lol. Normal Neighbour sounds so...normal.

Becky said...

I know, RIGHT?

Amy said...

She does! How refreshing! ;)

That lady snack sounds delish! And who knew north Georgia was a haven for nudists?

Elizabeth said...

I think I might have gone to that pumpkin patch in my childhood when I lived in a very normal subdivision called Huntcliff.

Anonymous said...

i love your normal neighbor. i have several frenemies but a good normal one as well

Megan said...

Ah, Dahlonega. I was with you on normal until you mentioned Dahlonega.

Elizabeth - My mom lives in Huntcliff. Must I now consider her normal??? Oh no.

Lawyer Mom said...

Normal Neigh-woman sounds like Glenda the Good Witch! Except that she noticed her prospective husband's duct tape. I think I'd like to have a glass of wine with this intriguing woman. And you.

Captcha: inflabil -- I almost screwed it up with inflabibble. Hank would like this new word, I'm sure.

Leciawp said...

Love normal neighbor! And, I've been thinking about joining a tennis team. Now I'm thinking twice about it. (Hadn't thought about the 'interpersonal' aspect - I was just thinking sports.)

Pumpkin patches in your part of the world sound much more exciting than here.

Jenni said...

Love that normal.

Julie said...

I like the lady treat but must ask .....does one place it in the oven and serve warm?? My overworked, under paid (yeah right -- I'm reading this while "on the clock") tired brain needs to know! Thanks in advance.

Becky said...

Inflappabibbility!

Julie, yes, she baked it until the crust was done (and of course by then the cheese was all melty) and then she sliced it and served it out of the pie dish. Yumm-ers.

Sylvia said...

Hmmm - wonder if Burt's has Nudist day. Bet that would be an uncomfortable hay ride!

Love that her husband had duct tape hems!