Thursday, December 20, 2012

To Feel Yourself Beloved on The Earth



Hank just got home from school, and I surmised that his teachers had hugged him goodbye for the Christmas break, because he smelled deliciously of different, overlapping perfumes. I was snorfling all over him, enjoying them, and I said, "Your teachers must have given you hugs!" And he said, "Yeah, and Mr. Russ did too."

Mr. Russ is the school bus driver. And that's closer than I ever thought I would get to old Russ. But still sweet.

How are y'all? We are still here. The news from Newtown took away my impulse to blog the last few days. I just didn't want to add any words to the situation. And all of the things we had going on this busy, December weekend seemed too light. Trifling. You know. I appreciated this post by Lecia, where she talks about her feeling of reverence in her ordinary days, and also this one by Elle, where she's thinking about bell hooks and MLK and a world perspective. Lots of things to think about. We stayed quiet around here, and I think everyone else did too. Traffic into my inbox all but ceased. We went about our business.

I know we've all read lots of people on our fb feeds and elsewhere talking about hug your children, that they hugged their children extra tight, etc. That's a parent's reaction to this, of course. But it made me realize, you know, I already revel in these kids every day, I truly do. I am drinking them in every minute, and couldn't enjoy them more. I wrote about it one time. I will never fear that I've missed any opportunities to love them, and I know they feel it.

On Monday morning, I walked Hank all the way up to the door of his school, kissed his face, and watched his shaggy head until it bobbed out of sight. I thought how we are all just doing our best, and hoping for the best.

Now the kids are home until January 7. I hope you are well. On Dasher!

7 comments:

Beth said...

Nicely said, and I agree. I love those kids with the strength of a million suns. I don't think they realize it now, or if they do it's deep, deep down, but I'm certain that someday it will hit them. Just watched about 50 Kindergarteners singing "Feliz Navidad" and "Happy Together" and it's about the best thing I've ever seen.

etheljr said...

Sweet post, well done. You must have a great mom yourself. Have fun with all the bustling about.

Elizabeth said...

It's always good to hear from you -- and thanks for the wonderful links.

Amy said...

Great post--Amen to all of it.

Amy said...

You are a kairos kinda person, Becks. xoxo

Becky said...

I had to google that, Amy. Thank you! I am learning something new every day.

gretchen said...

Where are you, woman?